ideas, innovations and apps for social work in the age of smartphones and social media
In 2012 researchers at the University of Bergen in Norway developed and published a Facebook Addiction Scale to measure the addiction to social media based on the six core elements of addiction (salience, mood modification, tolerance, withdrawal, conflict, and relapse). The scale is based on six criteria:
- You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook or plan use of Facebook.
- You feel an urge to use Facebook more and more.
- You use Facebook in order to forget about personal problems.
- You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook without success.
- You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook.
- You use Facebook so much that it has had a negative impact on your job/studies.
- (The Huffington Post)
Check out the study here.
If you just want to get an idea of it without going into detail: Spotlight Communications, a US marketing company, recently published a brief infographic about social media addiction disorder that provides a rough overview of the topic.